Monday, March 3, 2008

Poetry has no purpose

Sometimes I feel it was quite amateurish, but it is the first poem that I wrote after a long time, in 2005.
Here it goes.
Poetry has no purpose
I do not see its aim
Unlike myself who after several attempts
Had found a way, through alleys and lanes
To a shop of little fame,
To buy you a cake on your birthday.
They have no aim,
Unlike myself
who in still darkness
made his way
To an unshapely mug
Promising upliftment from your remembrance.
The words uttered then, missed you.
They cling to me now and beg me to
take them to the pilgrimage
I have decided to go,
Hoping against hope
To find you there
and give you a passing wink.

1 comment:

  1. Now, that's a good start, but I hope not a ominous one, considering the first comment is coming from someone so so un-poetic! :-(

    But then, I might not write poetry or even understand it much, but I sincerely admire people who can do so....here's to that!!

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete